Building and Running a Kingdom
Running a city is broken down into four phases.
The first phase The Upkeep Phase really deals with the month that has just passed. You check to see whether your people are happy or restless, pay the bills and generally manage the country. The Improvement Phase comes next – and is the time that you can spend your money (BPs) to increase the size of your kingdom, develop the country side or build settlements. During The Income Phase you work out what money is available to go into your treasury – but you can’t spend it until next year. The final Event Phase is a DM generated ‘random Encounter’ for the nation as a whole – there are good events and bad events and you need to be prepared for both.
During a kingdom’s Upkeep phase, take the following actions. If your kingdom currently controls 0 hexes, skip this phase and proceed to the Improvement phase.
- Step 1: Determine Kingdom Stability: Make a Stability check against your Command DC to determine your kingdom’s level of security for the month. If you make the check, reduce your kingdom’s Unrest by 1 (if your Unrest is at 0, gain 1 BP as a result of surplus goods and services). If you fail this check by 5 or more, increase Unrest by 2.
- Step 2: Pay Consumption: Deduct your kingdom’s Consumption from the kingdom’s Treasury BP. If you aren’t able to pay for the month’s Consumption, your kingdom’s BP drops into the negative. Every time you end an Upkeep phase with negative BP in your Treasury, your kingdom’s Unrest increases by 2.
- Step 3: Fill Vacant Magic Item Slots: If there are any vacant magic item slots in any cities, randomly roll new items to fill these slots.
- Step 4: Unrest: If the kingdom’s Unrest is 11 or higher, it loses one hex chosen by the kingdom’s leaders. Any improvements in that hex (farmlands and roads) are lost and must be rebuilt after the hex is reclaimed. Any settlements in that hex become towns that must be annexed if they are to be reclaimed into the kingdom (see page 56). Finally, if the kingdom employs a Royal Assassin, reduce your total Unrest by 1 at the end of this phase.
During a kingdom’s Improvement phase, take the following actions. The number of improvements you can make during a single phase is limited by your kingdom’s size; see the Improvements per Month table for these limits.
- Step 1: Select Leadership: Assign leaders to any vacant leadership roles. Leaders must be PCs or closely allied NPCs. You can change leaders as often as you want with no impact on your nation’s statistics (apart from changing what bonuses apply, as the ability scores of leaders differ); reallocating roles allows you to give every player a chance to play the role of ruler if you wish.
- Step 2: Claim Hexes: Each hex on the maps of the Stolen Lands measures 12 miles across, and the PCs’ kingdom must be built hex by hex. To claim a hex, you must explore it and clear it of monsters or dangerous hazards; the hex must also be adjacent to a hex that is already part of the kingdom (with the exception of the first hex, which can be anywhere). At this point, you can claim the hex as part of the kingdom by spending 1 BP. Increase your kingdom’s size (and thus its Consumption) by 1 for each hex you claim. You can abandon a hex to reduce your kingdom’s Size. Doing so increases Unrest by 1 (or by 4, if the abandoned hex contained a city). The hex then counts as a ‘’Wild Hex’’.
- Step 3:Build Roads: Roads have an immediate initial cost but over the long term can pay for the investment handsomely. It costs 1 BP to build a road though a hex. This cost increases to 2 BP in forests and to 4 BP in swamps and mountains. If the road crosses a river, a bridge must be built—this doubles the road’s cost. Any Wild Hexes with a road or a navigable river can be designated as a ‘’Settled Hex’’.
- Step 4: Develop the Countryside: With a bit of development, a settled Hex can be turned into a countryside hex. If you later decide to develop a city in a Countryside hex – you lose all the benefits it gained. The size of your kingdom controls how many countryside developments you can make in a turn.
Please Note: These rules have been changed from the original and may need some tweaking later.
- Farmland: You can develop any grassland or hill hex that contains roads into farmlands to help sustain your kingdom’s Consumption. It costs 2 BP to designate a grassland hex as farmland and 4 BP to designate a hill hex as farmland. Generates 1bp per kingdom round and adds +1 to your economy. If it is built on a plant based resource, it generates 2bp per kingdom round.
- Fishery (3bp in Grass, Hills, Wood, or Swamp; hex must have significant water; Swamp hex must have road.) A development that facilitates the catching and processing of fish. Generates 1bp per Kingdom Round. If it built in a hex that contains a fish based resource it generates 2bp per kingdom round.
- Lumber Yard (3bp; Woodland hex; road or river) A development that facilitates the cutting and processing of lumber and charcoal. Generates 1bp per Kingdom Round. SPECIAL – if built in a hex that contains a wood based resource – 2bp per kingdom round.
- Quarry/Mine (3bp Hill or Mountains; road or river) A development that facilitates the cutting and dressing of stone or minerals. Generates 1bp per Kingdom Round. If it built in a hex that contains a minable based resource it generates 2bp per kingdom round.
- Advanced Developments. Once a hex has been developed, there are a few things you can do to enhance the settlements in that hex. However, they are not as good value (economically) as the earlier developments.
- Step 5: Establish and Improve Cities: Prepare land for city districts and then purchase new buildings for your kingdom’s cities. The building’s adjustments to your nation apply immediately. You can also destroy buildings at this time in order to clear a space to build something new; if you destroy a building, don’t forget to remove its benefits from your kingdom’s statistics!
- Step 6: Edicts: Pick or adjust your edict levels (see page 55) as you wish.
During a kingdom’s Income phase, take the following actions.
- Step 1: Deposits: You can add funds to a kingdom’s treasury by donating coins, gems, jewelry, weapons, armor, magic items, and other valuables you find while adventuring. For every full 4,000 gp in value of the deposit, increase your kingdom’s BP by 1. Items that individually cost more than 4,000 gp must be sold as detailed under Step 3 below.
- Step 2: Withdrawals: You can also withdraw funds from the kingdom’s treasury, but doing so annoys the citizens. Each time you withdraw funds, the kingdom’s Unrest increases by 1. In addition, your kingdom to gain Unrest equal to the total BP withdrawn. Each BP withdrawn in this manner converts into 2,000 gp.
- Step 3: Sell Valuable Items: You can attempt to sell items that you make or find – you get 50% of the value in GP the same as normal. If you choose to take BP Investment instead, you can buy BPs for 3000gp of item sold.
- Step 4: Generate Income: Make an Economy check against your Command DC at the end of your Income phase. If you’re successful, divide your result by 5 (dropping any fractions) and increase your Treasury’s BP by that amount.
During a kingdom’s Event phase, roll once on the Kingdom Events table to determine if an event occurs. Adventure specific kingdom events occur during this phase. Once you’ve determined what kind of event occurs (if any), simply follow the rules for each event to determine how the event impacts the PCs’ kingdom or cities.
Chance of an Event: There’s a 25% chance that a random event occurs during an Event phase. This chance increases to 75% if no event occurred in the previous Event phase.